This can be used to becoming a PADI MASTER SCUBA DIVER
“What was that fish?” is a common question heard after a dive. If you want to be the scuba diver with the answers, instead of the one asking the questions, then take the Fish Identification Specialty course. You'll enjoy your dives, even more, when you recognize the creatures that you see and can identify the main fish families and their characteristics.
PADI Junior Openwater Diver or equivalent
Minimum 10 years or older
Current Dive Medical (conducted within the previous 12 months)
- How to identify characteristics of local fish families and species.
- Fish survey techniques and strategies.
- About Project AWARE activities that can help protect aquatic life
Once you learn to recognize what types of fish you see, you'll find it easier to reference the exact species after a scuba dive. For example, a butterfly fish in the Caribbean has a similar shape to a butterfly fish in Southeast Asia, but colors and markings may be wildly different. If you know what fish family it belongs to, you can more easily look up the local name or at least be able to intelligently ask the local scuba instructor what you saw.
The course is divided into 3 segments:
1. Read and complete E-Learning Manuel
2. Instructor will go over your answers and talk more about the gear and slate or camera you will need. Also, reference books or online sites to assist with naming.
3. 2x Open Water dives sighting and identifying as many species of fish on the dives.
What do I need?
Personal dive gear (Full Kit) plus 2x tanks for the two open water dives. Don't worry if you don't have this yet as you can hire it for $100, but for comfort, we recommend you have your own. Speak to us first before purchasing to be sure the equipment is appropriate.
Cost includes all training and reference materials, 2x open water dives with an Auckland Scuba Instructor.
Why should I dive with Auckland Scuba?
- We want you to enjoy your diving experience so you’ll come to love diving as we do.
- Our instructors are passionate about diving.
- We have regular dive trips throughout the year from our own boat (not charters). We believe that once you've learned to dive, you'll want to carry on so why not learn with a centre that actually gets out diving?!
- We have the best price guarantee. If you find a better price for the same equipment, we'll match it.
How do I book?
To book on a course you can pay through iDive.co.nz. We will then contact you via email or call to confirm your details and process your course. We will confirm the dates for this course with you once we have confirmation.
Cancellation / Rescheduling – We do not accept cancellations and no refunds will be issued if you decide to pull out prior to commencement of the course or after the course has started, for any reason.
However, your course can be rescheduled if you give us at least two weeks’ notice before the start date. Within two weeks of the course start date, a $200 rebooking fee applies.
Additional Terms & Conditions – Additional terms and conditions will be sent to you to sign and return via email. If you have any questions or would like a printout of these please feel free to contact us.
Course Student Numbers - Course will be run once there are enough divers to facilitate the training. All material can be done before diving is required. We will communicate with you regarding dates and times. If you need to know more please contact us at email@example.com.